now browsing by month
Which I suppose is, the first thing they forget to tell you about heroes.
There are a lot of things that you’ll find out when you’re on the journey to being your best self.
This is a list of some of the things that I wished someone would have said to or asked me:
- Be nice. It will feel natural and easy, to have bad days and carry them with you. Do not. It is a fucked up thing to expect others to do that emotional labor for you, to make you feel better, to lift you up. Friends will do that, but most others will not.
- Read more. You only get better by learning and sharing ideas with others. Reading is a good way to do both.
- Do you want the thing or the experience? Do you really want those Gucci dog tags? True Religion jeans? Nike Air Jordan 1 Retros? Or do you want the envy that comes to some people who will see you possessing those things? If you can’t tell the difference, get it.
- Happiness is not contagious. Being genuine is. And so is being thoughtful.
- Your mental health is the most important thing you can maintain. Do the deep work to improve it.
- Life is fair because the market does not give two fucks about your day. Do good work and don’t be lazy. Take chances and pursue every opportunity.
- Life is unfair because the market does not give two fucks about your day. Do good work and don’t be lazy. Take chances and pursue every opportunity.
- There are unconventional paths to success. “Where we’re going, there are no roads.”
- Be willing to eat shit for what you love. If you really want to paint, be willing to fall on the sword for it. Would you wash the art store’s windows for art supplies at 25% off? Would you walk dogs to pay for art school tuition? Would you apprentice for a semi-successful artist for free? If no, see no. 7, but also, do you really want it?
- Your heroes have died and will die. So will you. Start looking forward and stop looking up.
Stop waiting for permission.
Be the best fucking you there is–There’s only one.